TikTok Rape Video in Lagos: Truth or Viral Sensation?
LAGOS, Nigeria —Authorities in Lagos State are urgently trying to locate a young TikTok user who recently went viral after claiming she was sexually assaulted in her own home.
The video has ignited a storm of reactions online, with many expressing outrage and sympathy, while others have voiced doubt about the authenticity of the claim, fueling a heated debate across social media.
In a video on her TikTok account, identified as @mirab351, the woman called Mirabel described an incident she said occurred in her apartment on Sunday, February 15. She explained that after struggling with insomnia and drinking to help her sleep, she was awakened by a knock at her door and alleges that a stranger forced his way in, pushed her, and assaulted her before leaving. She shared screenshots from what she said was a message from a man claiming responsibility.
The posting quickly drew attention online, with thousands of users on X (formerly Twitter) using the hashtag #StopRapingWomen to call for action against sexual violence and support for the alleged survivor.
Government Response
The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) confirmed it had seen the videos circulating online and said it was actively trying to make contact with the young woman to offer support, gather more information, and ascertain her location for her safety. The agency described sexual assault as a crime and emphasised that survivors deserve protection, care, and justice.
Officials also appealed to the public for any credible information that could help reach the woman directly and safely. The agency reminded the public that all reports are treated confidentially and urged anyone with information to contact them through verified channels.
Allegations and Controversy
In one of her follow-up posts, the woman said she attempted to take her own life due to the distress of the situation and was rushed to hospital by a friend. Her emotional disclosures and the graphic nature of the claims triggered intense debate online.
Social media users have expressed both support for the alleged survivor and calls for accountability, but others have raised concerns about the need for verification and official investigation before drawing conclusions reflecting a broader tension over how claims of assault are shared and responded to on digital platforms.
While some express pity for the lady, others have highlighted alleged inconsistencies in her reports.
So far, law enforcement has said that posts have been forwarded to a police gender unit and that attempts to communicate with the woman through her TikTok handle are ongoing.
Context and Broader Conversations
This case follows another recent social media allegation by a Lagos content creator who reported being raped after attending what she said was a fake modelling job a report that drew legal attention and early action from local police and legal advocates.
The involvement of activists and high-profile online figures such as Martins Vincent Otse, commonly known as VeryDarkMan (VDM) who regularly uses his platform to amplify social issues and injustices has added to the intensity of the public discussion, with calls for thorough investigation and justice.






