SERAP Mandates FG to Publish Full Details of $460m Abuja CCTV Project Contractors

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has called on the Federal Government to disclose the identities of all local and foreign contractors involved in the $460 million Abuja CCTV project, officially known as the National Public Security Communication System.

SERAP’s demand is directed at the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mr. Taiwo Oyedele, following concerns that records of Nigerian firms benefiting from the project remain incomplete.

The organisation said the Ministry of Finance, in a letter dated May 15, 2026, acknowledged that while local subcontractors may have been engaged, there are no detailed records identifying specific Nigerian companies that received funds from the Chinese loan.

The Ministry stated that “records from the Ministry of Police Affairs indicate that while local subcontractors may have been engaged, there is an absence of detailed subcontracting records identifying specific local companies that received funds directly from the Chinese loan.”

SERAP said the disclosure followed contempt proceedings linked to a 2023 Federal High Court judgment which ordered the government to provide full details of the project, including contractors, funding structure, and implementation status.

The court had directed the Ministry of Finance to disclose the total amount spent on the $460 million loan, names of both local and Chinese contractors, and details of the project’s execution, including a reported ₦1.5 billion payment for the Code of Conduct Bureau headquarters.

SERAP, however, said the information released so far amounts to only partial compliance with the court order, adding that Nigerians still do not know the identities of local contractors who benefited from the project.

The organisation also raised concerns over missing project records, including 6,035 unaccounted items linked to the CCTV system, and questioned whether the infrastructure was fully delivered or operational.

SERAP has urged the Federal Government to fully comply with the court ruling by publishing the names of all contractors, subcontractors, consultants, and vendors involved, as well as the exact amounts paid to each beneficiary.

It warned that continued failure to provide full disclosure could amount to contempt of court and undermine public accountability over one of Nigeria’s major security infrastructure projects.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *