Three worshippers have been killed while 15 others were abducted after armed men attacked a prayer ground in Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State.
The attack reportedly occurred on Saturday night at Ori-Oke Ajaiye, located around the Ikiran village area, where members of a church had gathered for a night vigil. Residents said the gunmen stormed the prayer ground and opened fire, causing panic as worshippers and villagers fled in different directions.
Confirming the incident, the Kwara State Police Command said the attack was reported by Pastor Adebayo Abiodun of Ijo Ajaye Ati Igbala, who was leading the vigil when the assailants invaded the area.
According to the police, “armed hoodlums invaded the prayer ground, firing sporadically,” killing three worshippers before abducting 15 others to an unknown destination.
Police authorities said security operatives were immediately deployed to the scene after the distress call was received.
The command added that a coordinated rescue mission involving tactical units, intelligence teams, and drone surveillance had been launched to track the attackers and rescue the kidnapped victims.
The latest attack has heightened fear among residents of rural communities in Kwara South, especially following previous assaults on worship centres and villages in parts of the state.
The police urged residents to remain calm and support security agencies with useful information that could aid ongoing rescue operations and efforts to apprehend those behind the attack.
